Current:Home > MarketsSpanish officials to hold crisis meeting as 40th gender-based murder comes amid backlash over sexism -Ascend Wealth Education
Spanish officials to hold crisis meeting as 40th gender-based murder comes amid backlash over sexism
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:39:34
Spanish officials have planned a crisis meeting for September 4 to address a spike in gender-based violence against women, including 40 murders since the beginning of the year — almost half of them during the recent summer months.
The country's equality ministry said it would convene a crisis committee meeting to analyze the latest cases of domestic violence. It will be the fifth meeting of its kind in just over a year, as the country looks to address rising concern over violence against women.
A 58-year-old woman was murdered in the eastern province of Valencia on Wednesday, bringing the number of women murdered in acts of gender based violence to 40 this year, and 1,224 since 2003, a social media post from the government's delegation against gender violence said on Friday.
Spain has tried to be proactive in addressing gender-based violence in recent years, including broadening the definition of femicide in 2021 to include the killing of women and children by men regardless of whether there was a prior relationship between victim and killer. The country passed Europe's first law specifically aimed at gender-based violence in 2004.
But as outrage continues over the behavior of Luis Rubiales, the currently-suspended president of the Spanish soccer federation who made global headlines for forcibly kissing national player Jennifer Hermoso after her team's victory in the World Cup in August, the latest killing put more pressure on the government to show it is taking action to protect Spanish women.
Tens of thousands of women have taken part in street marches protesting against sexual abuse and violence in Spain in recent years, and the issue took centerstage in the country's general election in July.
Prominent figures in Spain's far-right Vox party — who carried 12% of the overall vote in the July election — have denied the existence of gender-based violence and been critical of government initiatives to address the issue.
"Gender violence does not exist, macho violence does not exist," the head of Vox in Valencia, Jose Maria Llanos, said in July.
No one party won a significant enough majority in the election to form a government, and with political gridlock stymying efforts by the different parties to form a new unity government, an interim administration is currently running Spain.
Earlier this week, acting Equality Minister Irene Montero told the Reuters news agency that Spanish society must break a "pact of silence" and she called for the public to support women who come forward about systemic sexism.
"Spain is a feminist society in which sexism still exists, but it is determined to end sexism," Montero said Wednesday. "We are sending the correct message to the world, that sexism is over."
- In:
- sexual violence
- #MeToo Movement
- Murder
- Spain
- World Cup
- Domestic Violence
veryGood! (55623)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Are US interest rates high enough to beat inflation? The Fed will take its time to find out
- Rebels kill at least 4 people during an attack on a Central African Republic mining town
- 3 killed, 18 wounded in shooting at May Day party in Alabama
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Trump trial arrives at a pivotal moment: Star witness Michael Cohen is poised to take the stand
- Panama’s next president says he’ll try to shut down one of the world’s busiest migration routes
- Wary of wars in Gaza and Ukraine, old foes Turkey and Greece test a friendship initiative
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Police: Theft suspect stole 2 police vehicles while handcuffed, survived 11 officers’ gunfire
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Sink Your Teeth Into Robert Pattinson's Unforgettable Year
- Diddy's son Christian 'King' Combs releases 50 Cent diss track, references federal raids
- How a woman, left for dead, survived a violent home invasion: There's no earthly reason why I'm alive. None.
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Taylor Swift sings 'The Alchemy' as Travis Kelce attends Eras Tour in Paris
- Where can millennials afford to buy a home? Map shows cities with highest ownership rates
- More bodies found in Indonesia after flash floods killed dozens and submerged homes
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Flash floods in northern Afghanistan sweep away livelihoods, leaving hundreds dead and missing
Duchess of Sussex, called ‘Ifeoma’ in Nigeria, speaks with women about her Nigerian roots
Patriots coach Jerod Mayo says rookie QB Drake Maye 'has a lot to work on'
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Idaho doctor killed after triggering avalanche while backcountry skiing, report says
Why 12-team College Football Playoff is blessing, curse for Tennessee, Florida, LSU
Minnesota raises new state flag, replaces old flag with one to 'reflect all Minnesotans'